What To Know
There are two reasons why the Apple TV app may be missing on your smart TV.
- Either the app needs to be installed on your TV
- Or your smart TV is not one of the models Apple Inc. has licensed to support the app.
This article will discuss the Apple TV app’s compatibility with various smart TVs. Want to learn how to install the Apple TV app?
Why Can’t I Find The Apple TV App on My Smart TV?
You won’t find the Apple TV app if your smart TV is an old model that does not have Apple support.
Alternatively, the app may just not be pre-installed on your TV.
The Apple TV app was first available to Apple devices but was later made available to non-Apple streaming devices and smart TVs.
You’ll find the Apple TV app on your TV’s home screen. Scroll through the list of apps on the screen to find it.
However, some apps will only appear on the list once you log in or use them (e.g., Deezer).
Instead of scrolling through all the apps and finding nothing, type “Apple TV” into the search bar on your home screen to search for it directly.
If you can’t find the Apple TV app after the search, it didn’t come preinstalled on your Smart TV.
How Do I Get The Apple TV App?
The Apple TV app is usually already preinstalled on Apple-supported TVs.
However, if you can’t find the app and are sure your smart TV is a supported model, you can install the app from your TV’s app store.
Whether you’re using a smart TV or a streaming player (i.e., Roku, Fire TV), the app installation process differs for different brands.
We have compiled a step-by-step guide to installing the Apple TV app on select brands of TVs and streaming players.
On Samsung TVs
Smart Samsung TVs use its proprietary platform, Tizen. Follow the steps below to install Apple TV on your Samsung TV.
- Press the Home button, and a menu will pop up at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll to the Hamburger menu icon (three vertical lines) on the left.
- You’ll find the App icon highlighted; click OK to open the app page.
- Navigate to the Search icon at the top right corner of the screen and press OK.
- Type “Apple TV” into the search bar.
- Select the Apple TV app, then click on it to install. Wait for one minute before you can open the Apple TV app below
On Amazon Fire TVs
For TVs (i.e., TCL, Insignia) with Amazon Fire TV built-in or TVs that use a Fire TV streaming stick, follow the steps below to install the Apple TV app.
- Click the Home button on your Fire TV remote to bring up the Home Menu.
- From the Home Menu, move to the Apps icon on the right side and select it to view “Your Apps & Channels”.
- Scroll through the listed apps until you find the “appstore”.
- Once in the App Store, locate the Search bar and select it.
- Type in “Apple TV” and then choose “Download”.
- Patiently wait while the Apple TV app installs.
- After installation, open the Apple TV app to enjoy its content.
You’ll also find the Apple TV icon displayed among your main apps on the home screen.
On Android TVs
For smart TVs that use the Android or Google OS, here’s how to install Apple TV:
Ensure your TV is connected to the WiFi. You can confirm this from Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi
- Click on the Home button on your remote.
- Scroll to the Apps section.
- Find and open the Google Play Store app.
- Click on the Search icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Type “Apple TV” into the search bar and search.
- When the Apple TV app comes up, press Enter.
- Click on the Install option, and the app will be ready in a few seconds.
After installing the Apple TV app, it’ll be available in the app section of your home screen.
On Roku TVs
Follow the steps below to install Apple TV on TCL, Hisense, and other smart TV brands that use the Roku OS.
You can also follow these steps if your TV uses an external Roku streaming device.
- Press the Home button on the remote.
- Scroll down the home screen menu to Streaming Channels (The Roku TV app/channel store) and press OK.
- Scroll down the displayed menu and select Search Channels.
- Using the navigation buttons and onscreen keyboard, enter “Apple TV” into the search bar. A list of apps matching your search entry will appear on the right.
- Select Apple TV from the list and press OK.
- Select Add Channel and enter your pin if prompted.
- A prompt will be displayed on the screen to tell you that the channel has been added. Press OK.
- You can Open Channel directly or press Home to return to the home screen.
- New apps are added to the channel grid on the home screen. Scroll to the bottom to find the Apple TV app.
On LG TVs
Here’s how to install the Apple TV app on your LG TV.
- Press the Home button on the remote.
- An app Menu will pop up across the bottom.
- Scroll through the app icons to find the LG Content Store (pink icon) and click OK.
- Scroll through the options at the top of the screen until you get to Apps. Click OK.
- You can scroll through the listed categories or search for the Apple TV app directly.
- Go to the Search icon at the top-right corner of the screen and click OK.
- Use the navigation buttons or voice function to input “Apple TV” in the search bar.
- Scroll through the search results and click on Apple TV.
- Click on Install. Once it’s installed, press Launch to start using the app.
Which TVs Have The Apple TV App?
Smart TV models released since 2018 are more likely to support the Apple TV app.
However, there are some TV manufacturers whose older smart TV models (2016 – 2017) also support the app.
Below are some TVs and streaming platforms that support the Apple TV app.
- Samsung TVs (2017 or newer)
- Roku Players, TVs
- Amazon Fire Sticks, TVs
- Android TV Streaming Devices and TVs
- Comcast Xfinity
- Google TV
- LG TVs (2016 or newer)
- PlayStation PS4, PS5
- VIZIO TVs (2016 or newer)
Note: This is not an exhaustive list, but you can refer to Apple’s list of devices with Apple TV app support to check for a specific model.
If your Android TV is not among those on the list, there are other ways to find out if it supports the Apple TV app.
Check the Android OS version of your TV model since Apple compatibility starts with Android OS 8.
Only some smart TVs support the Apple TV app; hence, you may not find it on your TV.
For Android TVs, only models with OS 8 and above can support Apple TV.
If your smart TV supports the Apple TV app, you’ll find it on the installed apps list.
However, if it isn’t pre-installed on your TV, you can usually install it from the TV’s app store.
With the guides included in the article, you can easily install Apple TV on your Roku, Samsung, TCL, and LG TVs.
Gabriella ‘Diogo is a technical writer with a vested interest in tech hardware and equipment. She shares her knowledge and processes in an easy-to-grasp, lighthearted style. When she’s not testing or researching device performance, you’ll find her writing short stories or rewatching episodes of her favorite sitcoms.