An Apple TV is a great device to have, but you might be wondering just how much you can get out of it.
How much can you use your Apple TV? Can you take my Apple TV to a friend’s house? Can you use an Apple TV at multiple locations?
We have found that you can take your Apple TV to a friend’s house — and to multiple locations as well!
All you need is a reliable internet connection to connect to streaming apps on your Apple TV. And if you have cable subscriptions at any location, you can connect to them using an activation code.
How Does an Apple TV Work?
First things first: let’s look at how an Apple TV works.
An Apple TV is a streaming box that you can connect to a display, allowing you to access the internet through your TV. This is very useful, especially if you don’t have a Smart TV.
It allows you to stream from two different sources: the apps and your computer.
If you stream from apps — whether it’s the iTunes Store or other streaming apps like Netflix — you will be able to access all the content you’ve purchased or rented, including music, TV shows, and movies.
You can also use it to stream content located on your computer. This is possible by using an Ethernet cable to connect the Apple TV to the Local Area Network (LAN) that your computer is on.
Can I Take My Apple TV to a Friend’s House?
Given Apple’s reputation for exclusivity, you might be worried that you won’t be able to use your Apple TV outside your own home.
But don’t worry! You will be able to use your Apple TV at both your house and your friend’s house with no problems.
You may have to set up your Apple TV channels again, especially if they have different cable subscriptions, but this should be easy.
Can You Use an Apple TV at Multiple Locations?
Yes, you can use an Apple TV at multiple locations!
No matter how many locations you go to, you can still use your Apple TV.
As long as you are logged into your iTunes account, as well as your respective accounts on other streaming apps, you should be able to access the same content.
Everything will be synced in your iTunes Cloud, so you can pick up right where you left off on your favorite shows!
You won’t be able to access content that is on your computer unless you bring it with you and set up a LAN.
However, if you want to bring music, you can store it on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod and stream it to your Apple TV through AirPlay.
How Do I Set Up an Apple TV?
Now that we’ve covered what your Apple TV is capable of, let’s dive into the details of how to get it to work!
To set up an Apple TV , you can follow these easy steps:
- Take your Apple TV’s power cable.
- Push the power cable into the Apple TV until you feel a click.
- Plug the other end of the power cable into an electrical socket.
- Connect an HDMI cable to the Apple TV and the other end into your display.
- If you want to stream through your Local Area Network (LAN), you can connect an Ethernet cable as well.
- Use your remote to pick a language.
- Select your country or region.
- If you have an iPhone:
- Click on “Set Up with Device”.
- Bring out your iPhone and set it next to the Apple TV.
- The two devices should automatically connect and set up your Wi-Fi and your iCloud account on the Apple TV.
- If you don’t have an iPhone:
- Click on “Set Up Manually”.
- Select your Wi-Fi network.
- Type in your Wi-Fi password.
- Type in your Apple ID.
- Choose your preferred settings.
- Agree to the Apple TV’s Terms and Conditions.
How Do I Access Cable with an Apple TV?
Streaming is great, but you may also want to watch cable while at your friend’s house.
But don’t worry! You can streamline everything through your Apple TV.
To watch cable networks on an Apple TV , you can follow these steps:
- Go to your Apple TV’s Settings.
- Click on Accounts.
- Select the TV provider/s you have a cable subscription to.
- Open the corresponding app on your Apple TV.
- A prompt will then ask if it can use your cable subscription.
- Click on Allow.
- Go to the website that is listed for that network.
- Enter your activation code.
And now you should be able to access cable through your Apple TV!
How Do I Make an Apple TV Account Profile for My Friend?
Finally, if you bring your Apple TV to your friend’s house frequently, you might want to make an account profile for them.
This allows you to customize the content (from apps to cable subscriptions) that you prefer to watch when with your friend.
To create another account profile on your Apple TV, you can follow these steps:
- Go to Settings.
- Navigate to Users and Accounts.
- Click on Add New User.
- Type in your friend’s Apple ID.
A new account profile should now be available on your Apple TV!
To change the account profile you’re using, you can:
- Go to your Apple TV’s Settings
- From there, navigate to Users and Accounts.
- Look for and select Current User.
- Choose the profile you want to use.
- Sign in to that profile.
And that’s all you need to operate your Apple TV when at a friend’s house!
An Apple TV is a streaming box that lets you access streaming apps as well as files on your LAN.
You can use your Apple TV at a friend’s house, as well as multiple locations, as long as you are logged into your iTunes account.
To set up your Apple TV, connect it to a power supply and your display. Log into your Apple account, and you’ll be good to go!
To access cable with your Apple TV, go to Accounts and enter the activation code for your cable subscription/s.
To make another Apple TV account profile, go to Users and Accounts and use your friend’s Apple ID. You can then switch users by going to Current User.
We hope this article helped you!
Vance is a dad, former software engineer, and tech lover. Knowing how a computer works becomes handy when he builds Pointer Clicker. His quest is to make tech more accessible for non-techie users. When not working with his team, you can find him caring for his son and gaming.