Ever had the feeling that your TV is not big enough or that it is not very visible? Then read through this article as there is essential information you need to know on how to remedy this situation.
The primary purpose of having a projector is to manipulate small images and turn them into large visible pictures.
This can be done without necessarily buying one. Manufactured projectors have advanced technology, but they are costly.
What if I told you there are ways you can use the old stuff in your home to make a projector, sounds exciting, right? Let’s get right into it.
For today, we explore different ways of making the projectors without using the magnifying glass.
Making a smartphone projector using a glass bulb
What materials do you need?
Make sure you collect the following materials:
- A smartphone
- Phone stand
- Shoebox with cover
- A bottle top
- Pen/ pencil
- Scissors or razor blade
- Tape or glue
The materials listed above are easily accessible. They also work as long as you follow the steps keenly.
The steps to create a Smartphone projector without a Magnifying glass are simple. They are outlined below.
- Assemble all the requirements. These items are readily found at home; ensure you have all of them on your work table.
- Use the scissors or any sharp material to cut the small cover of the bulb carefully. Remove all the contents and remain with only the glass cover.
- Trace the circular shape of the bulb using a pen on one of the small sides of the shoebox and another piece of carton. Cut off the traced part carefully.
- Open up the shoe box and place the bulb inside the shoe box, next to the cut outside. Place the glass bulb upside down with the opening we made facing up.
- Take the other side you cut out and place it on the other side of the glass bulb. Please make sure they perfectly fit in the box. You can use tape and glue to hold them together firmly.
- Pour water into the glass slide until it is full. Close the top of the bulb with a bottle top. Use tape or glue to secure it and make it tight.
- Place the phone stand inside, on the other smaller side of the box. The stand should perfectly fit inside.
It is hard finding a phone stand that fits in the box; therefore, we find it more comfortable, making a basic one that freely moves inside the box.
The purpose of the stand is to hold the phone inside the box.
- Play the movie or video on your phone.
- Slide the phone inside the box and leave it in the position that produces clear images. Don’t forget to place your phone upside down.
- The projector is almost done. Place the box cover on top and ensure everything is enclosed. You can cut out the part the bottle top sits in if it is longer than the box’s height.
Remember that the bottle top is used to close the bulb to ensure that there is maximum concentration of light for projection purposes.
You can also decide not to use a bottle top and cover the top of the bulb with just cardboard.
How does the homemade projector work?
The basic operation of this invention is:
You are using the glass bulb, filled with water, as a lens to manipulate and produce larger images from the light produced by the smartphone. Place the phone upside down in order to produce upright images.
Here are some advantages glass bulb projectors have over technology projectors.
- They are easy to construct and use. All you need is less than 30 minutes to assemble everything correctly, and you are good to go.
- Homemade projectors are cost-effective. You might end up spending nothing when constructing because everything is at your disposal.
- Glass bulb projectors are as efficient as the others. They produce large and quality images.
- The projectors are portable and light.
- They are easily replaceable. Both types are delicate, but in case you drop the homemade, they are easy to replace.
- These projectors serve a large number of people, and you can enjoy movies and videos with your friends.
Helpful tips to consider when making glass bulb projectors
- Before covering the shoe box, determine the right distance of the phone from the glass bulb. Identify the position that produces clear and quality images.
- Use a shoebox with a darker interior. If the one you have has a bright color, say white, use darker materials to cover the sides.
This facilitates the concentration of light to the glass bulb.
- After making the interior dark, ensure your phone’s brightness is maximum to produce more light and for better quality.
- Place your phone upside down to have upright images.
- Use a medium-sized box. If you use a small box, the contents might not fit, and if you use a large box, light doesn’t concentrate on the bulb effectively.
Homemade projectors are an excellent alternative to manufactured ones. Even though manufactured machines have more customizing settings, they operate using the same principles.
The projectors are easy to make, use and efficient. All the information you need in order to construct one is provided in the article.
Save yourself money and resources you would have spent buying one. As useful as they are, why not make one yours today?