Do you not have a VGA port on your laptop?
Are you wondering whether you can still connect your VGA-supported projector to it despite that?
The simple answer is: yes, you can connect a VGA projector to a laptop without a VGA port.
You’ll need either an HDMI to VGA adapter or an HDMI to VGA converter.
In this article, we’re going to discuss how to connect a projector to a laptop without a VGA port.
Plus, we’ll explain what the HDMI to VGA adapter and converter are and how it works, as well as answer some of the most frequently asked questions.
So are you ready? Let’s get started!
What is VGA?
Before that, it’s important to first understand what VGA is.
VGA (Video Graphics Array) transfers video signals from one device to another, e.g. a laptop to a projector.
As you can see, these ports have unique shapes. And because of that, it can only fit into VGA cables.
Unfortunately, most laptops today use HDMI instead of VGA.
So the problem of “I have a VGA-supported projector but no VGA port in my laptop” is common.
We have the solution!
What is HDMI?
It’s important to know what HDMI is, too.
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) transfers video signals in a digital format. This allows it to support higher resolutions and improve image quality.
Now, since HDMI ports are more common in laptops, a lot of HDMI adapters and converters are being sold.
Yes, including one that can fit into VGA cables.
Click here for a selection of available HDMI to VGA adapters.
So if you don’t have a VGA port on your laptop, you can use these adapters/converters to help you connect to a VGA-supported projector.
How to Connect a Projector to Your Laptop With an HDMI Adapter and Converter
Okay, let’s get to the point.
Here are the ways you can connect your projector/laptop to an HDMI adapter or converter.
Using an HDMI to VGA Adapter
If you’re using an HDMI to VGA adapter, follow these steps to connect it to your laptop.
- Turn off your laptop. You don’t want anything happening to it during the process.
- Connect the VGA cable to the VGA port in your projector.
- Connect the other end of the cable to the adapter.
- Connect the HDMI end (of the adapter) to your laptop’s HDMI port.
- Turn on your projector and laptop.
- If you need audio, you’ll have to connect it to another port as these adapters only transfer video signals.
Once you complete these steps, you’re able to project your images.
One important thing to note. When looking for these adapters, make sure you get HDMI to VGA adapters and not the other way around.
The reason is that these adapters can only convert video signals in one direction.
So you want HDMI to be the input, while the VGA is the output (If your laptop has a VGA port and your projector an HDMI, go for VGA to HDMI adapters.)
Looking for good recommendations? We recommend Moread HDMI to VGA Adapter.
- COMPACT DESIGN - The compact-designed portable Moread HDMI to VGA adapter connects a computer,...
- SUPERIOR STABILITY - Built-in advanced IC chip converts HDMI digital signal to VGA analog signal; It...
- INCREDIBLE PERFORMANCE - The HDMI male to VGA female converter supports resolutions up to...
This adapter has a compact design, superior stability, and incredible performance. All for a bargain price!
If you’re looking for a VGA cable, check out BENFEI VGA to VGA Cable.
- High performance VGA cable connects a VGA (Video Graphic Array) equipped computer to a monitor or...
- Supports resolutions at 800x600 (SVGA), 1024x768 (XGA), 1600x1200 (UXGA), 1080p (Full HD), and up...
- The VGA cord engineered with molded strain relief connectors for durability, grip treads for easy...
These cables are stable and reliable. Not only that, but it also comes with a Lifetime Warranty and excellent customer service.
Using an HDMI to VGA Converter
Connecting HDMI to VGA converters is very similar to the adapter.
In fact, there are only 2 differences.
The first one is that there’s no need to connect a separate audio port. The converter sends both video AND audio signals.
The other difference is that these converters need an external power source to work. This is why it has a DC jack and/or USB cable.
If you’re looking to buy these converters, we recommend JideTech HDMI to VGA Converter.
- SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE: HDMI to VGA converter with 3.5mm audio port can transport audio and video from...
- SUPERIOR VIDEO QUALITY:Supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 (1080p Full HD)including...
- STRONG STABILITY:Using the original chip imported from the United States,high quality chip and pvc...
This converter supports high resolutions up to 1920×1080.
Not only that, but it also provides superior performance and wide compatibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
As promised, we’re going to answer some of the most frequently asked questions.
So here goes…
1. Which is Better: HDMI or VGA?
As you might expect, HDMI is better than VGA. (This is why modern laptops and projectors all use HDMI.)
But why is it better?
It’s because HDMI can transfer more data. As a result, it produces higher resolutions and frame rates.
And if you didn’t know, these are what’s needed for good image quality.
2. Can I Connect HDMI to VGA?
By now, you’ll know that the answer is NO.
HDMI can only fit into HDMI ports, while VGA can only fit into VGA ports.
That said, you can use an adapter or converter to connect the two (as we’ve discussed in this article).
Also, always keep in mind that HDMI to VGA adapters is different from VGA to HDMI adapters.
3. What Happens When a VGA Pin Bends?
If you look closely, VGA cables have 15 pins.
You have to be careful when connecting the cable as these pins bend fairly easily.
Let’s say one of the pins bends. What will happen?
You won’t be able to fit it into the VGA port, thus you won’t be able to use it.
Don’t worry, though. You can straighten it up yourself with a tweezer or small pliers.
Don’t have a VGA port on your laptop?
Want to connect a VGA-supported projector to it?
The answer is in HDMI to VGA adapters and converters!
With these, you’ll be able to enjoy beautiful images through your projector, whether that’s a business presentation or watching your favorite movie.
The best part is that it’s super simple to connect these adapters and converters.
We hope this article has been a great help!
Last update on 2021-04-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.