You may think it’s easy to turn projectors on and off. After all, you only have to press the power button when you need to use it and press the button again when you’re done, right?
But what if we told you there’s more to it than simply pressing the power button to turn your projector on or off? That you can accidentally shorten your projector’s lamp life or even damage the whole unit if you keep switching your projector on and off the wrong way.
In this article, we will discuss the proper way to turn your ViewSonic projector on and off without risking damage.
How to Properly Turn Your ViewSonic Projector Off/On
It’s not every day that you find an entire article on how to turn a projector on and off. We usually refer to the manual for that.
But we promise you, this article is worth a read. Look, projectors can be pricey!
Sure, you can probably find discounted ones online. You could even get second-hand units.
But we advise against either of these options as you risk falling for a scam or unknowingly purchasing a damaged projector.
You want a genuine, quality projector to fulfill your home-theater dreams. But it’s important to remember that the nicer the specs, the higher the price of your unit. So you will naturally want it to last you for years of use.
To do that, you have to take good care of it, including knowing how to operate it properly – even if it’s just switching it off and on.
Turning Your Projector On
Before you start pressing any buttons, be sure to check if your projector is plugged into a power source.
Other things you need to think about are:
- Make sure that your projector is placed properly on a stable surface.
- Make sure to move any food and beverages away from your projector.
- Make sure to wipe down and dust off any dirt build-up on your projector.
- If you were using your projector earlier and switched it off, wait for your projector to cool down before turning it back on.
These are just precautions you should take to keep your projector safe from damage.
Once you’re sure that your projector is safe from anything that may damage it, it’s time to turn it on.
To properly start up your projector, you have to:
- Press the power button to turn your unit on.
- Wait for the lamp to light up. You should hear a “power on” ringtone.
- Wait for the power indicator light to turn green.
- Once your projector has completely booted up, you can now turn on the other equipment connected to your device.
Turning Your Projector Off
You’re probably thinking, “Oh, I can just get the remote and turn it off,” or “I can just press the power button and unplug the unit.” But please refrain from doing these things.
You’re partially right about pressing the power button to switch off your projector, but that’s not the only step you should take.
There is a correct way to turn off your ViewSonic projector safely, and here’s how to do that:
- Press the power button to turn off your ViewSonic projector. A prompt will pop up on the screen confirming if you intend to shut down your unit.
- Once you see the prompt, press the power button again, and your projector will shut down.
- It will take a few moments for your unit to shut down because of the cooling process. Once it’s finished cooling down, you will hear the “power on/off” ringtone.
- If you are not using your projector for an extended period, unplug it from the power outlet.
- Wait about 5 minutes before switching off your projector if you had just switched it on to help maintain lamp life.
- Do not unplug your projector while it is shutting down. Doing so could damage the unit or shorten the lamp life.
- Please note that your projector will not respond to any commands during its cooling process. The unresponsiveness is to protect your projector’s lamp from damage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I Leave My Projector On Overnight?
Yes, you can leave your projector on overnight, but we don’t recommend it. Forming a habit of leaving your lamp on overnight will eventually damage your unit’s lamp.
Does that mean that you can never use your ViewSonic projector for an overnight movie date? Of course not!
ViewSonic’s projectors can handle 24-hour use. So you can still enjoy a fun movie night with your friends or loved ones every now and then.
But remember that your projector will only function as long as its lamp is still fully functioning. Following the tips we gave above can help preserve it.
Should You Always Set Your Projector to ‘Standby’ When Not In Use?
We mentioned that you needed to switch your ViewSonic projector off once you’ve finished using it to preserve lamp life, but does that mean you always have to switch off your projector?
Not always! It’s completely fine to have your ViewSonic projector set to “Standby” if you plan on using it again in an hour or so.
Will Turning Your Projector Off Prevent Overheating?
The short answer here is: Yes, you can prevent your projector from overheating by switching it off after long hours of use. However, that is not the only way you can prevent overheating.
You can still use your projector for hours without the risk of overheating if you ensure proper airflow and ventilation.
You can binge-watch all your favorite trilogies or play high-speed video games, and your ViewSonic projector will stay cool as long as it’s in the right type of environment.
You can also leave your projector on without fear of overheating if you set its status to “Standby.”
Vance is a dad, former software engineer, and tech lover. Knowing how a computer works becomes handy when he builds Pointer Clicker. His quest is to make tech more accessible for non-techie users. When not working with his team, you can find him caring for his son and gaming.