Watching sports is a passionate activity for many people. With eyes glued to the screen you want to capture as much detail as you can.
What better way to amp up your experience than with powerful projectors? The enlarged images make you feel like you’re part of the action.
Good projectors have a way of bringing motion pictures to life. Whether you are projecting games or movies the experience is always remarkable.
Are you wondering what specifications to look out for?
This article will give you a detailed guide to selecting your sports projector. We have created a list of the best projectors to watch sports for you.
- Buying guide: What Should I Look For in My Sports Projector?
- Top 3 Picks for You
- The 5 Best Projectors To Watching Sports On
- Choice for Portability: ViewSonic M2 Full HD Smart Portable LED Projector
- Best for large bright spaces: Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector
- Best in controlled lighting: Epson Home Cinema 5040UB Home Theater Projector
- Best for small spaces: VAVA 4K UST Laser TV Home Theatre Projector
- Best Budget 4K Projection: BenQ TK800 4K Home Theater Projector
Buying guide: What Should I Look For in My Sports Projector?
Here’s the thing: not just any projector will do. Projectors come with various features and their applications are varied too.
Let’s consider some features to look out for in the best projectors to watch sports:
The light output of a projector plays an important part in its display quality. Projectors for sports should be very bright and have high lumens.
So, how many lumens do you actually need for sports projection?
The answer to this question depends on the size and lighting of your viewing space.
If you want a projector for your home theatre, 1000 to 2000 lumens is enough. The brightness would be sufficient for an enclosed space with controlled lighting.
If you have a large space with more ambience, you will need brighter projectors. 3000 or more lumens will do.
2. Aspect ratio
This is the ratio of the width of a display to its height. The aspect ratio of a projector tells us the shape of its image.
Some projectors can display in more than one aspect ratio depending on your setting.
3. Display size
When we speak of projecting games, the idea is to fill a screen much larger than your TV.
Your sports projector should be able to project 100″ or more of sharp pictures.
The display size should depend on the amount of space available in your room. There’s no need to purchase a projector with a display size that you do not have the space for.
4. Throw ratio
The throw ratio of a projector describes the size of the image it can project from a certain distance. Most projectors have a standard throw ratio of about 2:1.
This means that the image they display is as wide as ½ their distance from the screen. Throw ratios can influence where you mount your projector.
To get large images on a 2:1 throw ratio, the projector will have to be mounted far from the screen. This may be impossible in small theatre rooms.
Good news: some projectors have much smaller throw ratios. They are called short-throw projectors. They can project large images from a short distance.
The best projectors for watching sports are home theater projectors. They have better image quality and contrast than business projectors.
Most home theater projectors come in widescreen resolutions: WXGA (1280 × 800) and HD (1920 × 1080).
HD resolution uses more pixels than WXGA, so they produce better images. HD projectors are the better option if you don’t mind a little extra cost.
You can always go all out and purchase one with a 4K resolution even. However, if you’re working on a budget, WXGA projectors will do.
6. 3D Projection
3D adds a certain oomph to cinematic widescreen projection. Since 2011, more of these 3D and 3D-ready projectors have entered the market.
The difference between full 3D and 3D-ready projectors is in their ability to accept 3D data in any format. 3D ready projectors come with certain limitations.
3D technology gives your brain the illusion of depth.
With the aid of 3D glasses, it delivers a somewhat different image to each eye. Your brain combines the two different images and interprets them as a single 3D image.
Nothing can be more thrilling while watching sports. 3D or 3D-ready projectors are definitely a plus.
Top 3 Picks for You
The 5 Best Projectors To Watching Sports On
Everything counts when it comes to selecting a projector. From brightness to the size of your projector, every feature should fit your needs.
Based on our selection guide, we have created a list of our top 5 projectors for watching sports. They are:
- ViewSonic M2 Full HD Smart Portable LED Projector
- Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector
- Epson Home Cinema Wireless Home Theater Projector
- VAVA 4K UST Laser TV Home Theatre Projector
- BenQ TK800 4K Projector
Choice for Portability: ViewSonic M2 Full HD Smart Portable LED Projector
- PORTABLE PROJECTOR: Ultra-portable Full HD 1080p LED projector delivers convenient entertainment in...
- BIG SCREEN PROJECTION: Shorter throw lens project up to 100-inches from 8-feet 9-inches
- PREMIUM AUDIO: Built-in Dual Harman Kardon Bluetooth speakers deliver room-filling audio
This LED projector is the most portable option on our list. It is easily transported and very efficient.
If you have a home theater but you want a projector you can also take on-the-go, the ViewSonic M2 is a great option for you.
The ViewSonic M2 is a short-throw projector. It has a throw ratio of 0.6:1. It projects up to 100″ image display.
Rooms with controlled lighting do not require very high lumens. This projector has a brightness of 1200 lumens so it is very fitting.
ViewSonic equipped this projector with Cinema SuperColor+ technology. This gives it great color at its 1080p HD resolution.
It has multiple connectivity options like HDMI, USB, Micro-USB, and Bluetooth.
Here’s what seals the deal: This small projector is 3D enabled. You can watch your favorite games with life-like quality.
What we like about it:
- The ViewSonic M2 is easy to set up.
- It has a Smart TV interface for streaming movies.
- It delivers dark tones perfectly with a contrast of 3,000,000:1.
- It supports wireless Wi-Fi connection for mirroring the screens of other mobile devices.
- The projector has inbuilt speakers for 360° sound.
What we don’t like:
- This projector may lose some of its projecting strength in ambient light.
Best for large bright spaces: Optoma HD146X High Performance Projector
- CINEMATIC PICTURE QUALITY: Enjoy crisp, high-definition images with a native 1080p (1920×1080)...
- PERFECT IMAGE ALIGNMENT: With the latest technology from Texas Instruments, the DLP DMD single-chip...
- LIGHTS-ON VIEWING: Enjoy an incredible 3, 600 of brightness in any room in your home; leave the...
The Optoma HD146X is our choice for outdoor projection or large audiences. It is a DLP projector with standard throw.
If you want to project for a large audience, this projector is the way to go. DLP technology lends it great color accuracy.
The Optoma HD146X is capable of 3D projection. So, the bright green of a field or blue hue of a jersey seems to jump at you from the screen.
This projector displays images with a native resolution of 1080p. It has 3600 lumens of brightness for crisp and detailed images.
This projector has a contrast ratio of 500,000:1 and 16:9 aspect ratio. It is easily connected to other devices via USB, HDMI and other ports.
Its lamp demands a powerful fan to keep it from overheating. If you’re projecting with external speakers, you would not hear the fan at all.
What we like about it:
- It has impressive light output and brightness.
- It is affordable for a projector of its functions.
- The LED has about 15,000 hours of lamp life.
- The Optoma HD146X projects images in great quality and color.
- Its vertical keystone correction function makes it easy to install.
What we don’t like:
- This projector does not have proper zoom control.
Best in controlled lighting: Epson Home Cinema 5040UB Home Theater Projector
- Epson PRO UHD with 4K Enhancement Technology (1) : accepts 4K UHD content and upscales non 4K...
- Advanced, 3 Chip, 3LCD Design : 3LCD technology ensures no color wheel, no white segment and no...
- HDR10 (2) High Dynamic Range and UltraBlack Contrast : full 10 bit color output and a contrast ratio...
The Epson 5040UB is a powerful 3LCD projector. It is known to brighten your screen with beautiful pictures.
This projector weighs about 24 lbs. It is not portable, and is best suited for mounting in a theater room.
Want to install some distance from the screen? This one has a standard throw. This means that you can install it behind you for convenience.
Its 2500 lumens brightness is paired with an UltraBlack 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. Combined, these two features bring your screen to life.
The Epson 5040UB has a 4K UHD resolution. It supports 4K and 1080p images. Its lack of a lag time makes it a good option for not just watching games but also playing them.
It connects with other media devices using HDMI, USB, LAN, and Mini-USB. It is a 3D projector. What more can you ask for, really?
What we like about it:
- It is easy to set up and features an impressive motorized lens shift.
- Its 3LCD technology erases the risk of the Rainbow effect.
- It gives an arresting picture quality in dark rooms.
- It can project images more than 120″.
What we don’t like:
- The brightness does not support home theaters and spaces with ambient light.
Best for small spaces: VAVA 4K UST Laser TV Home Theatre Projector
- Ultra Short Throw: Cast a 100 inch image from only 7.2 inches away from the wall! With a...
- 4K Resolution with HDR 10: Feast your eyes on awe-inspiring visuals with deeper colors, higher...
- Advanced Laser Light Source: 2500 ANSI Lumens of brightness combined with state-of-the-art picture...
The VAVA 4K projector is the best performing projector on our list. It has an ultra-short throw ratio that makes it perfect for projecting in small spaces.
This projector is suitable for nearly every application. It is best for those who have a very small distance between their screen and the opposite wall.
The VAVA 4K projector has a 0.233:1 throw ratio. It can give you an image of 100″ from 7.2″ away from the screen. How awesome is that!
The 4K resolution ensures images have a crisp and detailed quality. It has 2500 lumens brightness and 3000:1 contrast ratio. This is perfect for home theaters with controlled lighting.
This projector is smart and used an Android 7.1 OS. It can run apps like Netflix, Amazon prime and its own app which also serves as a remote.
The VAVA 4K projector comes with many connectivity ports. They include 3 HDMI, 1 USB, and AV.
What we like about it:
- This projector reproduces colors accurately with its color wheel mechanism.
- It is an ultra-short-throw projector.
- It uses inbuilt Harman Kardon speakers with good sound output.
- It has a lamp life of about 25,000 hours.
- It supports wireless connections with other devices using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
What we don’t like about it:
- The VAVA 4K projector weighs 24 lbs. and is not portable.
Best Budget 4K Projection: BenQ TK800 4K Home Theater Projector
- TRUE 4K UHD RESOLUTION: True 8. 3 million pixels deliver awe-inspiring 4K UHD image quality with...
- VIVID COLORS IN ANY AMBIENT LIGHTING: Perfectly balanced high visual brightness (> 3000lm) and vivid...
- HYPER-REALISTIC HDR10 QUALITY: BenQ projector-optimized HDR features natural Auto HDR color and tone...
The BenQ TK800 is the most affordable projector on our list. Surprisingly, it is a great substitute for the VAVA 4K projector if you’re on a budget.
This projector is suitable for people who want a 4K resolution display but are on a budget. It produces a sharp 4K-like image quality.
The BenQ TK800 has a native resolution of 1080p and 16:9 aspect ratio. However, its DLP chip flashes images 4x in quick succession. This projects a 4K image.
Can’t control the ambience in your home theatre? Don’t worry.
This projector has 3000 lumens brightness and 10,000:1 contrast ratio. This ensures it delivers bright and clear images regardless.
The BenQ TK800 has customized picture settings. You can choose from sports, football and other modes to optimize your experience.
This projector has a throw ratio of 1.5:1. It can project clear images up to 200″. Its connectivity options include VGA, USB, AV and HDMI inputs.
What we like about it:
- This projector is easy to install using its vertical keystone and zoom features.
- It is bright and has a 10,000 hour lamp life.
- It is 3D enabled to give you an immersive viewing experience.
- It weighs a compact 9.3 lbs.
- The BenQ TK800 comes with a 3-year warranty from the manufacturers.
What we do not like:
- It does not have automatic 3D detection so one must activate the feature manually.
Don’t miss out on all the fun of watching your favorite games. Using a good projector to enlarge the image will make all the difference.
At Pointer Clicker we recommend the Optoma HD146X as the most effective projector at an affordable price.
If you’re on a flexible budget, try out the VAVA 4K projector. It is the best performing projector on our list. Happy viewing!
Last update on 2021-03-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.