Projector screens are materials used for displaying images projected for an audience to view. They are made up of a display surface and an accompanying support structure for balance.
There are few disappointments worse than having your presentation, art, movie date, or other important activities ruined because you got the wrong kind of projector screen.
If you want to know the best kind of projector screen to get for a daytime event you have planned, then this article is for you.
Screens made specifically for projection will always be the best choices for maximal outdoor viewing experiences. They are made with qualities and features designed not only to make outdoor projections possible, but to make them as satisfactory as possible.
I will be taking you through our list of the 5 best projection screens to consider for outdoor viewing and why they are great options. First, let’s see the qualities to look out for in a daytime projector screen. This next section will make your choice easier.
- Properties of a Projection Screen that You Have to Consider
- Types of Projector Screens
- Top 3 Picks for Daytime Viewing
- 5 Best Projector Screens for Daytime Viewing
Properties of a Projection Screen that You Have to Consider
Selecting the proper projector screen is based on a number of qualities which include: resistance to weather, color, ease of maintenance, type and size.
1. Resistance to weather
Daytime viewing can involve outdoor events and anything can happen outdoors. It’s not the controlled environment within your home or official buildings, so you have to be prepared for changes in weather.
Choose a projector screen made with outdoor fabric and materials that can withstand a little heat or moisture, depending on the kind of weather changes you expect.
2. Screen color
Screen color plays a big role in the contrast of projected images. White screens are most common due to brightness, but grey screens handle darker tones better in daylight. The grey screens darken colors and perform better at controlling the effects of ambient light.
However, while grey screens are better, they need to be paired with bright projectors to make up for their tendency to also darken whites and bright colors. When paired properly, they can both preserve image clarity and be just as bright as white color screens.
3. Ease of maintenance
Depending on the material they’re made of, projector screens allow for varying degrees of storage and maintenance. Some materials are highly absorbent and can allow for good cleaning with detergent and wet cloth.
Some projector screens are harder to keep in storage because they aren’t resistant to heat or mildew. Consider how often you plan to use your projector screen before getting one.
4. Size of the screen
Different sizes work for different purposes. A person who wants a screen for a personal gaming setup and another person who wants a screen for a group event would have to consider projectors of different sizes.
The size of a projector screen influences its portability, so your choice should be made based on how you intend to carry it around. Would you rather have a hand-held projector screen or one you would have to carry in a vehicle?
Other things to consider include the size of the place you want to place the projector, and the size of the place you intend to store the screen.
Types of Projector Screens
Generally, we’ll classify projector screens into two groups:
- Portable projector screens
- Fixed/Immobile projector screens
These include screens intended for mobile purposes and often shuffled between different locations at various times. If you want a screen that isn’t fixed, a portable one is your best bet because in addition to ease of transport, they are budget-friendly.
Portable screens include tripod-mounted projector screens. These usually come with a tripod stand and can be either foldable or dismountable. They are great for point presentations or presentations in multiple locations.
You only have to set up, use, and then pack up these projectors.
Apart from tripod-mounted screens, we have others that stand on double legs. There are some that open like flags and are mounted on the ground, and others that are unfolded and inflated with air.
Mounted or Fixed Projector Screens
These are projector screens intended to be fixed at a point, and are usually installed on walls or ceilings. There are the motorized remote controlled ones which can be used without being touched.
These ones are simply retracted from the casings for use and rolled back in after use with their remote-controlled mechanism. Others have to be manually arranged.
Electric motorized projector screens have more advanced designs, a more professional appearance, and are easier to use than the manual ones which often come with spring mechanisms.
Another type of non-portable screens are the fixed-frame screens. They do not come with casings that enable retraction, and do not require any manipulation after their initial installation. They are most common for home and outdoor theaters.
Top 3 Picks for Daytime Viewing
5 Best Projector Screens for Daytime Viewing
Are you wondering why you cannot just use any handy background for your daytime projection? Walls painted black, white boards, drawing paper; while all these have been used as projection backgrounds, there are limitations to their use.
Images displayed on them are often lacking in clarity and color quality even in dark settings. The disadvantages of these projection backgrounds are worse in bright spaces. They perform even more poorly in daylight.
Here are the screens we consider best for daytime viewing:
- Elitescreens Yard Master 2 Projector Screen
- Vamvo M2120 Outdoor Projector Screen
- Da-Lite Parallax Stratos 1.0 Fixed-frame Screen
- Outtoy 14ft Inflatable Outdoor Projector Screen
- Taotronics Projector Screen
Elitescreens Yard Master 2 Outdoor Projector Screen
- 120-inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio. View Size: 59.0" H x 104.7" W. Overall Size: 88.9" H x 109.8"...
- Screen Material: CineWhite UHD-B (Tensioned Matte White), 1.3 Gain. 4K Ultra HD and Active 3D...
- Assembles in minutes without the use of tools! Lightweight aluminum square tube construction easily...
Elitescreens is one of the best portable projector screen brands, providing quality products at affordable prices.
If you want to project a powerpoint presentation, I would recommend this brand. It is foldable and lightweight, with an aluminium frame that makes it convenient to carry around. It is compatible with regular 1080p projectors.
It can be assembled in a matter of minutes and does not require the use of tools. The stand has rust-resistant hinge plates made with stainless steel.
The screens come in various sizes between 87 – 200″, and motorized models are also available. The Yard Master provides you with two options to choose from; front or rear projection. It has a tensioned matte white screen for front viewing that reproduces colors accurately and Wraith Veil material for rear projection.
It boasts of a 180° viewing angle during front projection due to a wide diffusion uniformity, and a 160° viewing angle during rear projection.
What we like:
- One of the most endearing qualities of the Elitescreens Yard Master Screen is its versatility. It can be used anywhere, from parties in your backyard to PowerPoint presentations in a conference room.
- It comes in many sizes, so you can choose exactly what size works best for you.
- It can be stored for long periods of time without fear of damage.
- It has accurate color reproduction.
What we don’t like:
- While it is a great outdoor projector screen, you have to consider the weather before using it in exposed settings. It is not very weather resistant.
Vamvo M2120 Outdoor Projector Screen
- Very Easy To Set Up—— It takes less than 5 minutes to fully set up the entire assembly.
- Convenient Outdoor Projection Screen—— Our screen, with fordable and lightweight stand, makes it...
- Upgrade Design—— The latest version has bigger screen with even more stability than the previous...
The Vamvo outdoor projector screen is arguably the most convenient outdoor projector screen to carry around. It is durable, with a very simple design.
Vamvo is made of high-quality fabric that enables longevity. It is very lightweight, weighing about 7lbs. and is easy to set up. These features make it one of the best options for camping trips and other outdoor events.
Within five minutes, you can set up this projector screen completely. Customer reviews attest to the ease of installation, regardless of its impressive size.
This screen measures 120″ and comes with a foldable tripod stand. The pipe and drape system gives stability to the screen, it has a 160° viewing angle and fairly good rear projection. The projector screen comes with ropes attached to each side; important if you factor in the possibility of windy days.
What we like:
- Its durability and long-lasting fabric.
- Provision of rope attachments to combat windy days outside.
- The simple yet effective design
- Reviews frequently mention how easy it is to set up and that’s a bonus.
What we don’t like:
- The rear projection of Vamvo is not as good as the front.
Da-Lite Parallax Stratos 1.0 Fixed-Frame Projector Screen
- Diagonal Size: 133 inch
- Screen Surface: Parallax 0.8
- Ambient Light Rejecting Screen
This projector screen from the Da-Lite brand is the least budget-friendly on this list. It is expensive and reasonably so, because of the many features and benefits it comes with.
If you are a professional looking to make a PowerPoint presentation at a conference, this is a great choice. It is also good for large houses of worship.
The parallax Stratus 1.0 projector screen comes with a 17° vertical half angle, an 85° half viewing cone and an impressive ambient light rejection capacity of 80%.
It works on a system of multiple layered lenses with different properties of light reflection. The screen surface is dark and has an LED-like appearance, making it sunflare and sparkle free.
If you are displaying images of up to 16ft in height, this would work very well.
Older Da-Lite models came with white display screens. Now, with ambient light rejection becoming an important feature of daytime projectors, Parallax Stratos surfaces are making projections better and brighter. They give great color quality in very bright places.
What we like:
- It has a very high capacity for ambient light rejection making it the best choice for daytime projection outdoors.
- Its large display screen size.
- It has amazing color quality.
What we don’t like:
- The Da-Lite Parallax Stratos 1.0 is very expensive, limiting it to official uses.
Related post: Dragonfly Projector Screens’ Review
Outtoy 14ft Inflatable Outdoor Projector Screen
- ANTI-CREASE AND HIGH ABSORBANCE MATERIAL - This inflatable movie screen is made of high quality...
- SUPPORT FRONT AND REAR PROJECTION - Our outside movie screen allow front and rear projection both...
- SUPER EASY TO SET UP - This giant inflatable movie screens is super easy to set up, Just plug it in...
This projector screen by Outtoy makes the list due to its quality and features for a budget price.
This inflatable screen is best for fun outdoor gatherings like camping, birthday parties, movie nights, or even wedding parties.
Like the name specifies, it is a 14ft Airblown screen that can be set up in minutes, folded after use and conveniently transported in its storage bag. It is very lightweight, weighing about 7lbs., making it one of the most portable large screens out there.
The inflatable frame comes with a triangular base and ground stakes to keep the screen from falling when there’s a strong wind.
The screen is anti-crease. It is made with high absorbance material and can be cleaned with a damp cloth when it gathers dust.
One of the best features of the Outtoy 14ft inflatable screen is its capacity for both front and rear projection.
What we like:
- The anti-crease quality of the screen even with its foldable design
- Its lightweight and portability
- We like that it is absorbent and can be cleaned with damp cloth.
- Its ability to support both front and rear projection
What we don’t like:
- There is hardly anything to dislike about this projector screen. Some reviews mention the airblower’s noise, but a medium-volume movie easily drowns it out.
Taotronics Indoor/Outdoor Projector Screen
- Premium PVC matte Projector screen: wrinkle-free screen is easy to clean and avoids Yellow staining...
- Fast 2 minute setup: takes only a few steps to quickly set up and begin using; no screws necessary....
- 1.1 Gain with 160° viewing angle: clearer and less reflective screen with a wider viewing angle so...
The Taotronic Projector screen is a portable screen offered by Taotronics, under the Sunvalley group.
This projector offers a great outdoor viewing experience; it can be used for viewing movies and playing games.
Setting up the Taotronics projector screen is quite easy. The process is simple and does not require any tools. Simply set up the tripod stand and place the screen on it. It comes with an instructional guide to help you.
The Taotronics projector is portable and lightweight, weighing about 21lbs. The tripod stand is strongly built and has adjustable height. It can be easily transported with its carry bag.
The projector has a wide 100″ screen with a 160° viewing angle. This means you can view it conveniently from the front or the side and there will be no reflections to distract you. The screen is a white matte that shows bright images and improves image clarity. The screen also has black masking on its border that helps to focus and align images.
The screen is not collapsible and can be quite challenging to store. You would have to consider your storage options before purchasing the Taotronics projector screen.
What we like:
- White matte screen that gives good image clarity.
- The firm tripod stand with its adjustable height. Makes it easy to set up your projection screen on various heights, depending on your audience.
- There is black masking along the screen’s border that improves image focus and alignment.
What we don’t like:
- The screen is not collapsible and this limits the storage options.
Try as we might, the necessity of daytime projections cannot be avoided.
Whether it is for educational presentations, official presentations, art tracing, or outdoor parties; daytime projector screens are recommended because they are made with consideration for ambient light.
I recommend the Outtoy Inflatable Outdoor Projector as the best option if you’re on a budget. It offers great value at an affordable price.
However, for large professional or religious settings, the Da-Lite Fixed-frame Projector Screen is a terrific option. Good luck making a choice!
Last update on 2021-04-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.