Office workers are often plagued with chronic back and neck pain. Working in front of a computer for hours on end can eventually cause deterioration to one’s spine and posture.
We might not realize it, but the chair we sit on can either contribute to further spinal damage or help prevent it. The damage is a slow process that is not immediately noticeable but it becomes apparent at a later age.
Office workers sit in front of a screen for an average of 1,700 hours per year! I guess “breaking one’s back” is no longer an idiom in this context.
This is why employers need to have comfortable and ergonomic seats for their staff members. If you work at home, you should also look into investing in the right office chair for your body and needs.
We’ve got your back! The list below shows our picks for the 10 best office chairs. All these seats are guaranteed to be affordable and ergonomic.
Best Office Chairs Under 100 Reviews
1. Runner Up: SMUGDESK ergonomic office chair with headrest
- 【ERGONOMIC LUMBAR CHAIR】When you are spending more than 6 hrs sitting in the same position, a...
- 【BREATHABLE MESH CHAIR】The padded seat with a cover made of breathable mesh fabric uses...
- 【PADDED HEADREST CHAIR】This computer chair features a slideable headrest that is made of...
This chair is first on the list for good reason. It’s affordable, ergonomic, great quality, and is backed up by thousands of customer reviews.
Office workers can feel comfortable while finishing tasks, even if they’re sitting for hours. It’s not only great for your back but also productivity!
Assembly is so quick and easy that you don’t even need any additional tools at all. Height adjustment is straightforward because there’s only one lever.
The lumbar support and headrest keep your whole spine aligned. This chair isn’t just for those with back problems, it’s for everyone who wants to keep their backs in tip-top shape.
Overall, this durable chair provides the user with full-back to head support and lasting comfort. While most parts are easily adjustable, the armrests are fixed.
What we like
- It’s ergonomic and made for office workers who sit for over 6 hours.
- The mesh chair is breathable, comfortable and resistant to disfigurement
- Unlike other office seats, this one has a padded slidable headrest that fits your neck perfectly.
- Height is easy to adjust.
- The rocking mode is great for times when you want to relax.
What we don’t like
- The armrests aren’t adjustable.
2. Great value for your money: SMUGOFFICE ergonomic chair
- 【ERGONOMIC BACKREST】- With padded well-ventilated backrest, this bonded leather task chair...
- 【COMFORTABLE PADDING SEAT】- The padded leather seat is thick and resilient. Made of high-quality...
- 【MULTI-FUNCTION MECHANISM】- Pneumatic controls make it easier to raise or lower the seat. The...
This ergonomic office chair by SMUGOFFICE was manufactured with comfort and health in mind. Whether you work in an office or at home, you’ll be sure that this chair is a superior choice.
Just because you work hard, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t feel relaxed and cozy. With the right office chair, you can actively work on multiple tasks without suffering from discomfort and body aches.
The backrest is curved and will adjust to the arch of your back. Also the adjustable lever can make it easy to find the right height for your chair.
Just like the first chair on the list, this has a rocking mode, too. When you want to take a break this tilting feature is going to be terrific, especially when you want to do some stretches while sitting.
If you’re taller, you might find it inconvenient that there is no headrest. Nevertheless, this sleek design has all the adjustable and ergonomic features you want in an office chair.
What we like
- The ergonomic mesh backrest will keep you supported and relaxed even during long continuous hours.
- Padded seats on this chair are great for comfort but they’re also breathable so you won’t have to worry about heat and sweat.
- Easy multifunction controls for height adjustment and rocking mode.
- The PU casters are easy to maneuver even on carpeted floors.
- The excellent ratings for this product show how happy other customers are with this chair.
What we don’t like
- There is no headrest for this chair.
3. Most durable: SMUGDESK ergonomic desk chair
- Attention: The chair is not very big ,it is only for small people like Asian figure.If it is too low...
- Ergonomic Design - The curved design of this mesh chair will reduce back tension and make you feel...
- Adjustable Function - The functional mechanism of this task office chair can adjust the seat height...
Smugdesk is here to make sure your posture is good even when your desk job requires you to sit for hours on end. As experts in this field, they know just how to protect your back with this dynamic and ergonomic office chair.
Just like the prior chairs mentioned, this one makes use of breathable mesh, too. Thanks to the heat distribution from the mesh material, you won’t feel irritable and sweaty.
In the end, spending a few bucks on an ergonomic chair like this one is saving you the trouble of back pain, and future therapy sessions. This chair is a worthy investment because it’s durable and made to last.
Best of all, you get some of the utilitarian features found on other high-end chairs. The height and tilt functions are adjustable and the wheels also smoothly roll on any surface.
One thing that would make this chair better is if they added a headrest. Still, for the price and the overall quality, this chair hits the spot.
What we like
- The backrest and armrests are ergonomically designed to make the user comfortable.
- One handle can be used to adjust the height and to recline the chair.
- Durability is also a key feature of this chair as it is made from reliable materials.
- Assembling this chair is effortless and simple. All the tools needed are included in the purchase.
- At an affordable price, this chair exceeds expectations.
What we don’t like
- The chair does not have a headrest.
4. Best budget office chair: Ergonomic mid-back office chair
- Supportive Backrest - The open mesh design creates a breathable, well-ventilated backrest, yet with...
- Breathable Seat - The padded mesh seat is thick and resilient. Made from premium quality high...
- Multi-Function Mechanism - Pneumatic controls make it easier to raise or lower the seat. The recline...
This ergonomic office chair is much like the second chair on this list. The padded seat and mesh material makes it very comfortable but the functions make it sensible.
Being on a budget isn’t an excuse to sacrifice your spinal health because there are affordable options such as this one. However, just because it’s low-cost doesn’t mean that it’s sub-par.
You’ll be surprised at how well this chair supports your back because of its ergonomic design. There’s an obvious difference with how comfortable and tense-free you feel when you sit in your office.
Just like the chairs mentioned above, the seat height is adjustable and there’s also a tilt function for when you want to relax and take a break. The casters are smooth, quiet and will roll on any surface, too.
Aside from the fact that you can’t adjust the armrests, this chair is a fantastic choice. The design and functions are sleek and straightforward, making it a standout choice for its affordability
What we like
- The first perk is that it’s one of the most affordable chairs on this list.
- Despite the affordability, the chair is also durable and flexible.
- You get the ergonomic backrest design, as well as the breathable mesh material.
- The height is easily adjustable and you can also recline the chair when you want to unwind.
What we don’t like
- The design can be further improved by making both armrests adjustable.
5. Most stylish: FURMAX executive style chair with black bonded leather
- Material: cushioned back and seat upholstered in black bonded leather for all-day comfort
- Ergonomic design:The design of lumbar support and curved armrest for extra support and comfort
- An excellent chair for workplaces like home, office, conference Room and reception rooms; the fine...
To be honest, I didn’t expect to see any reliable options for an executive style chair below 100. So you can imagine my excitement when I saw the FURMAX office chair!
It has the luxurious and sleek PU leather finish that most executive chairs have. So you can get that expensive look without breaking the bank.
Although it’s made out of PU leather, it’s also breathable. The padding is made from high-grade sponge padding to make sure you’re sitting comfortably all day.
The comfort you get isn’t just from the cushioning, the overall model is also ergonomic to help you relieve tension. Best of all, it’s easy to wipe clean!
There’s not much I can complain about when it comes to this chair, but if I were nitpicking, they could make the armrests adjustable, too. Besides this issue, the FURMAX chair looks luxurious but has practical options for the hardworking man.
What we like
- The cushioning, lumbar support, and ergonomic design will make you feel at ease.
- It looks luxurious and polished because of bonded leather. It’s also easy to clean.
- Uncomplicated adjustable height and tilt tension will be terrific for personalization.
- The rollers are noiseless and won’t damage your floors.
- It’s affordable!
What we don’t like
- While the armrests are curved and cushioned, it would be better to make it adjustable, too.
6. For full back and neck support: BERLMAN high-back ergonomic chair
- Built-in lumbar support and headrest help you been in right sitting posture for protecting your neck...
- Integrated frame is stable and durable for using and contoured breathable mesh back make you feel...
- Tilt Lock Mechanism with Tilt Tension Knob and Pneumatic Seat Height Adjustment will match different...
You might have noticed by now that I’ve been recommending ergonomic office chairs, this BERLMAN office chair is no different. When it comes to comfort and lumbar support, your best choice is an ergonomic and adjustable chair like this one.
You can adjust several parts of this chair to make sure it fits your body in the best way possible. You can use the tilt lock mechanism to adjust the seating angle to your liking.
Just like the other office chairs, you can also alter the height of the chair, too. What makes this one different from the others is that the armrests are completely adjustable.
Moreover, it also has a high back and a fixed headrest attached. You’re going to feel snug and well supported with this durable office chair.
Overall, when it comes to practicality and customization, this chair is at the top of the list. The headrest is also a great addition, but making it adjustable would be an improvement!
What we like
- Lumbar and head support are built-in.
- The hardware is sturdy and can support up to 300 lbs.
- It also makes use of breathable mesh material for comfort.
- The adjustable height, tilt, and armrests will be awesome for personalization.
- It’s hassle-free because of how easy it is to assemble.
What we don’t like
- I like that it has a headrest, but it isn’t adjustable.
You’ll also be glad to know that this chair has made it to number 2 on Ergonomic Trends’ Best Ergonomic Office Chairs of 2018 Edition.
7. Most comfortable: SEATINGPLUS ergonomic executive style office chair
- 【Practicality & Comfort】You can easily adjust the height and backrest angle with the lever. The...
- 【High Cost Performance】The metal base, 3-stage pneumatic rod(SGS Certification) plus the sturdy...
- 【Superior Material & Compact Size】The surface is made from wear-proof, environmentally-friendly...
While there are several affordable executive style chairs on the market, not all of them are reliable when it comes to quality. Nevertheless, you can be sure that the few choice executive chairs on this list are top-notch.
The aesthetic quality of this chair is what attracted me to it at first. Despite this first impression, I was continuously impressed at the features and quality.
What stood out the most is the 3.5-inch thickness of the cushioning. Whenever you sit on this chair, you’re going to feel that extra support for your hips and back.
Just like most chairs, you can also adjust the height and tilt of this chair to your liking. I also appreciate how they added cushioning to the armrests and used PU leather for the surface.
Overall, the features and quality of this chair is a pleasant surprise considering that this is also one of the cheapest chairs on this list. If you don’t mind the lack of a headrest, this chair is going to be perfect for long hours of office work.
What we like
- Impressive 3.5-inch thick cushioning for overall comfort and support.
- PU leather covering is easy to clean, water-proof, environmentally friendly, and sleek.
- Adjustable height and tilt functions will make it comfortable for working and perfect for relaxing.
- Easy and quick assembly, it will only take you 15-20 minutes to put it together. No other tools needed, everything is included in the box.
- It’s not just affordable, it also comes with a warranty and replacement guarantee.
What we don’t like
- The lack of a headrest might be a downside if you are taller.
8. Remarkably reliable: REFICCER ergonomic chair with mesh and PU leather
Out of all the chairs listed here, I can say that this has the most unique design. The padding is in practical areas to target back pain and tension.
Specifically, the headrest, seat, and lumbar support are all cushioned while the rest of the high backrest is made out of mesh and PU leather. You’re also free to customize the height and tilt tension to suit your needs.
Part of the design is the fixed armrests which will come in handy when you want to relax. On top of the practicality of this chair, the design is also artful and polished so it will look terrific in your office.
Best of all, it’s risk-free for all buyers. You get a 1-year warranty and a 100% satisfaction guarantee!
It would be nice if they made the headrest adjustable instead of fixed. Although this is a minor issue, I have to say that I’m impressed with this product and it has exceeded my expectations.
What we like
- Targeted and ergonomic cushioning for ultimate comfort.
- Sleek and elegant design.
- Easily adjustable height and tilt settings.
- Buyers also get a 1-year warranty and satisfaction guarantee.
What we don’t like
- The headrest is fixed.
9. Most flexible for personalization: COMHOMA ergonomic office chair
- ✦EXQUISITE DESIGN | Classic color and simple design adds stylish accent to your workplace. This...
- ✦FLIP-UP ARMRESTS | The desk chair comes with adjustable armrests which can be flipped up or down....
- ✦EXTRA COMFORT | Ergonomic design promotes a good sitting posture to avoid stress on the back....
At first look, this chair can come off as a little bit simple in comparison to other chairs, but it’s designed with function in mind. There are a lot of similarities when it comes to the basic features, but I appreciate the flip-up armrests.
Having armrests that you can flip up means that it can accommodate people who might be wider in size. You can also do more activities on this chair like play guitar or move more freely.
When you want to rest your arms and elbows, you only need to flip them down again. Everything else is adjustable, such as the height and the tilt angle.
This also has an ergonomic design to ensure extra comfort and support for your spine. Besides this, the seat is also cushioned very well to help you feel cozy.
COMHOMA combines comfort and functionality in this clean and smooth design. Still, a headrest would be an awesome addition to this already sensible chair.
What we like
- The armrests can be conveniently flipped up.
- An ergonomic backrest and well-cushioned seat will ensure comfort while you work.
- Because the backrest is made out of mesh, it’s breathable and easy to clean.
- Personalize your office chair with the easy height and tilt adjustment.
- It’s affordable and of great quality.
What we don’t like
- It would further exceed our expectations if it had a headrest
10. Winner and Editor’s Pick: OFM Racing Style Gaming Chair
- COMPUTER GAMING CHAIR: A race car style chair that provides luxury and comfort whether used during...
- ERGONOMIC SWIVEL CHAIR: With contoured segmented padding, integrated padded headrest, and padded...
- ADJUSTABLE RACING CHAIR: Features height adjustment, center-tilt control, flip-up arms and 360...
Coming in number ten is a gaming chair. This comes to no surprise because office workers aren’t the only ones spending hours sitting down.
Gaming chairs are also designed ergonomically because die-hard gamers can spend all day playing their favorite video games. So it’s no wonder that office workers are also interested in purchasing gaming chairs for work.
The design is striking and unique. This particular chair is upholstered in SoftThread leather and the chair comes in a variety of colors, too!
Features include adjustable height, tilt control, and flip-up arms. Also, everything is padded, including the headrest.
I definitely would recommend this gaming chair. This chair exceeded my expectations but again, there’s room for improvement: specifically, an adjustable headrest.
What we like
- Everything is padded and upholstered in SoftThread leather which is comfortable and easy to clean.
- You can easily flip up the armrests.
- Height and tilt can be adjusted effortlessly.
- The design is ergonomic but it also looks cool and fashionable.
- To top it off, it comes with a 3-year warranty!
What we don’t like
- This chair is already impressive as it is but if anything can be added, an adjustable headrest would be a great feature
To know if gaming chairs are for you, this article on gaming chairs and office chairs can help you decide.
To conclude, I recommend the OFM Racing Style Gaming chair for its ergonomic design, adjustable features, and an impressive warranty of 3 years. For a chair below 100, I didn’t expect such a fantastic office chair.
As an alternative, I also highly suggest the SMUGDESK ergonomic office chair with adjustable headrest. The overall ergonomic design for this chair is specifically for office work, it’s also made from high quality and durable materials which ensures long-term use.
The Ultimate Buying Guide
Maybe you’re thinking, “It’s just a chair.” Sure, you can sit on any surface but how long can you sit on it comfortably?
Think about it, this chair is going to be a part of your body considering the thousands of hours you spend sitting on it per year. So it’s best to start thinking of it as a worthwhile investment rather than tedious furniture shopping.
Before you order any kind of chair, it’s best to know what makes an office chair different from other seats. Then, you can decide on the type of office chair you think will be most fitting.
Features also matter and it all depends on your body, needs, and circumstances. Building a checklist of your requirements will help you in making your final decision.
How is an office chair different?
An office chair is specially made for those who have a desk job. It’s comfortable padded and meant to give lumbar support.
It’s also supposed to be adjustable so that it can cater to individuals of different heights. Some office chairs have a 360° swivel feature to aid in desk activities.
Kinds of office chairs
1. Task chairs
This type of chair is the most inexpensive. Because of the price, it is commonly seen in offices that have hundreds of cubicles for their employees.
However, the lack of posture support means that you’ll only be comfortable sitting for 1-3 hours. Past the 3 hour mark, you’ll progressively feel discomfort.
With this knowledge, we don’t recommend this kind of chair if you work from home. The same goes for people who work on their computers for prolonged and continuous hours.
2. Petite chairs
As the name suggests, this type of office chair is made for people with a small physique. It helps petite individuals feel comfortable and supported.
It’s also made from lighter and thinner materials. This makes it more manageable for smaller people to maneuver because it isn’t heavy.
3. Tall chairs
This is the opposite of petite chairs because it’s for bigger and taller people. To be precise, the maximum height it can support is 6’6”!
The chair itself is substantially larger and the backrest is longer. Understandably, this makes use of thicker and denser materials.
4. Ergonomic chairs
This chair is the prime choice for anyone looking for the best lumbar support. I suggest this for anyone who works continuous hours.
Also, if you have existing spinal problems, this will help you feel more comfortable and improve your posture. It’s more expensive but it’s worth it because you can forgo the back pain.
Read more: The 10 Best Seat Cushions for Office Chairs
5. Conference chairs
You guessed it, this chair is used for meetings and conferences. It can give some support but it isn’t as good as other office chairs.
You can stay comfortable for about 3-4 hours. However, this isn’t a great choice for anyone working for more hours than that.
6. Executive chairs
When you see an executive chair in a store or online, try not to be surprised by the price tag. This is the most expensive type of office chair for good reason.
The padding and support for executive chairs are outstanding. It has all the best features and it looks luxurious, too.
Office Chair FAQs
One thing I’m thankful for when it comes to online shopping is that customers can share their concerns and questions freely on the listing and other websites. The following questions and answers might be of significant help to you.
Where to buy an office chair?
As we mentioned above, it all depends on your preference. You can choose to purchase an office chair in a furniture store or you can do it online.
If you find something that catches your eye in a physical store, don’t buy it just yet. You must first research that brand and model to make sure that it’s worth it.
You can also purchase on Amazon or other trusted online stores. Buying online gives you many choices and the freedom to do a bit of research while you’re browsing.
How to clean an office chair?
Getting stains and dirt on an office chair is unavoidable. Cleaning your chair is easy with the following steps:
Getting rid of stains on fabric
1. Before anything else, you must clean up any mess or spills on the chair immediately. Otherwise, the stains might become hard or impossible to clean.
2. With a cloth or a paper towel, flick away or pick up solid pieces that might be sitting on the fabric. DO NOT RUB on it because it could cause more staining.
3. If you’re cleaning up liquids, dampen a piece of cloth and use it to blot the area. Keep blotting and absorbing as much fluid as you can.
Be sure to squeeze out the excess over the sink from time to time. Continue blotting and wringing out the excess until the spill and stain are gone.
4. Read the care tag! Some chairs come with a tag that gives you information on how to properly clean and care for your chair.
Check for these symbols on the care tag:
|Symbol & Meaning||Usage|
|W: You can use water-based solutions to clean your chair.|
|S: Only use solvent-based solutions.|
Solutions with water might ruin the cushioning.
|S/W or SW: You can use either solution.|
5. You can also use alcohol to clean up some spots especially if the care tag indicates W. If it’s labeled S, you can do a spot check by applying a little bit of alcohol in a small area of the chair.
If it doesn’t damage the upholstery, use cotton and alcohol to scrub away the stain. Reminder: be gentle on mesh and never use alcohol on acrylic fabric.
General cleaning for your office chair:
- Vacuuming the upholstery can remove dirt and debris. Use an upholstery attachment and make sure that the suction isn’t too strong so that it doesn’t damage the fabric or the upholstery.
- Make a solution using biodegradable dish detergent and water. The ratio will depend on the upholstery and material. For fabric, leather, or vinyl add a few drops of the dish detergent in 1 cup of water. Be cautious and do a spot check, too.
- Dampen a lint-free cloth with the solution and wipe the upholstery clean. Again, don’t rub!
- After you wipe it down, you should use a dry cloth to get rid of any water or soap that might be left. Leave the chair in a well-ventilated area to dry.
Maintaining the hardware:
It’s easy to forget about the arms, legs, and wheels of your office chair because it’s usually out of sight. If the dirt accumulates in the wheels, your office chair is going to swivel like an old grocery cart.
- Turn over the chair to see the hardware. It’s impossible to thoroughly clean the underside and the wheels if it’s right-side up. You might want to put a piece of cardboard or a carpet underneath. This will keep the upholstery protected.
- Remove the wheels. For this step, you might need a screwdriver but other office chairs have easily detachable wheels.
- Scrape away the dirt on the wheels. You’ll be surprised to see just what gunk you’ll find. In my experience, you’ll find dried food and hair. Getting rid of the hair can be tricky so make sure you have a pair of scissors and tweezers on hand. Once you get rid of all these things, your chair can move smoothly.
- With a few drops of dishwashing soap on a dry cloth, wipe away any remaining dirt on the wheels. Use a paper towel to get rid of any moisture on the wheel.
- Put back the wheels on the chair and wipe down the underneath of the chair, and the legs. Use a damp cloth but make sure that you also use a dry cloth or paper towel when you’re done.
- Flip over the chair again. Wipe down the arms with a damp cloth, and follow it up with a dry one.
- Clean up the area to avoid getting the dirt on the chair again.
How to adjust an office chair?
Office chairs are usually adjustable so that they can cater to different people. Finding the best position and figuring out the adjusting mechanism is as easy as one, two, three.
1. Start with the office chair at its maximum height. Adjust and lower the chair as you sit on it and stop at the height where you’re most comfortable.
Your feet shouldn’t be dangling above the ground. It should be planted flat on the floor.
Moreover, your legs should not be bent too much. You’ll know it’s just right if your legs are bent at a 90° angle. (Read more: The 5 Best Desk Footrests)
2. Some chairs have the additional feature of an adjustable lumbar position. Slide the backrest so that your back is supported starting from the base of the backrest.
Other chairs will also have a tilt function. This allows you to recline and find a comfortable angle at which you can lean back.
Remember, you need to adjust it regularly. If it’s always reclined, it’s going to put a lot of stress on your back.
3. If your office chair has an adjustable armrest, you might want to alter the height or angle in a way that can support your elbows. It should also be at a similar height to your desk so that you can lean back and forth with no trouble.
Some chairs are not adjustable but there are practical modifications you can take. Using a cushion will be a comfortable way to boost up the height and add back support.
There are also specific products created for this purpose. Check them out in the video below:
How to fix a sinking office chair?
There’s nothing more troublesome than a sinking office chair. It’s going to distract you and you just can’t get comfortable enough to work effectively!
Why do office chairs sink?
Before we can fix the problem, we have to understand why it happens. Office chairs are made out of several cylinders that work to lift the chair.
These aren’t just tubes stacked together, there’s Nitrogen Gas in the cylinders. This overall mechanism is what allows you to adjust the seat up and down.
Unfortunately, the cylinders will weaken after some time and continuous use. When this happens, the gas leaks and the office chair loses its lift and starts to sink.
Nothing else is going to be as good as getting a Chair Cylinder Replacement Kit. It’s affordable and most of these purchases come with a warranty.
You’ll get all the needed parts tools and manual so there’s no need to feel intimidated. Just check out the tutorial video below!
Let’s be realistic. Ordering the replacement kit is the best choice but you’ll still have to wait for it to be shipped to you. Until you get the kit, you need to keep that chair from sinking ASAP.
Luckily, you can do these 2 easy steps. These temporary solutions might last for a few days, hours, or at least until you get your tasks done.
A. Duct tape and hose clamp – hardware stores are everywhere so you can surely get these two things immediately.
- Make sure you get a size 20 hose clamp.
- Prop up the chair at the right height, and fasten the clamp at the cylinder piston.
- Use the duct tape to secure the hose clamp and to keep it from sliding around.
B. A PVC pipe or plastic spacer – Again, you can get these materials in a hardware store. But this will take more effort in terms of measuring and cutting.
- Cut the plastic spacer down the middle.
- Wrap it around the cylinder piston. Just like the hose clamp, you’re using it as a stopper.
How to raise an office chair without a lever?
Older office chairs don’t have a lever for adjusting the chair’s height. It requires manual adjustment but it’s fairly simple. To adjust the height, you have to rotate the seat.
- Clockwise = lower
- Counterclockwise = raise
Last update on 2020-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API.